Resume / CV of Steven Woodson
👨 About Steve
Hi! 👋 I'm Steve, a CPACC certified Web Application Developer with over 20 years of industry experience creating clear, accessible, and straightforward digital products that put users first.
My background runs the spectrum from visually engaging promotions managing millions of entries to complex multi-tenant CMS integrations powering dozens of websites in multiple languages.
With a focus on accessibility, architecture, design systems, and performance, I'm dedicated to the pursuit of useful, usable, and delightful experiences.
Walnut Creek Creative
|Walnut Creek Creative Partner, Self-Employed||from June 2023 to present|
I've worked at marketing and computer software agencies for 20 years, now I'm sharing all that experience directly with client teams as an independent consultant.
Open to Web Development, UI Development, and Web Application Development projects. View my Services and get in touch, I'd love to hear more about what you have coming up and how I can help bring it to life!
|Bounteous Director, UI Development||from December 2021 to June 2023|
|Bounteous Associate Principal Front-End Developer||from July 2021 through November 2021|
|Bounteous Lead Front-End Application Developer||from August 2020 through July 2021|
|Senior Front-End Application Developer||from September 2015 through August 2020|
- Utilized all major JS frameworks (Angular, React, Vue) to architect and build web applications, many including design systems and documentation for long term maintenance
- Consumed JSON, XML, & SOAP based APIs from countless platforms. Created RESTful custom BFF layers for particularly complex applications
- Development in and integration with CMS platforms including AEM, Drupal, Laravel, and Wordpress
- Instrumental in starting a holistic company-wide accessibility program with an inter-departmental team, initial focus on awareness, training, integration, and management
- Career coach to ten developers, mentor to several more. Helping onboard, facilitating feedback and assessments, and providing guidance towards career goals
|Upshot Agency Development Supervisor||from February 2014 through September 2015|
|Upshot Agency Senior Web Developer||from March 2013 through February 2014|
- Regularly released visually engaging promotions managing millions of entries for a global beverage company
- Developed custom PHP/MySQL applications using Laravel and Cartalyst platforms
- Integration with API platforms including Campaign Monitor, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Led a team of developers, meeting deadlines while introducing new processes and technologies
|Juice Interactive Senior Web Developer||from December 2011 through March 2013|
- Conceptualize and wireframe application flow and structure of new projects
- Develop custom PHP/MySQL applications and/or customize open source frameworks
Trying to keep this tidy, showing the latest decade only.
More available in my LinkedIn profile.
- HTML & CSS
- PHP & MySQL
- Angular / React / Vue
- 11ty / Nuxt / Storybook
- Laravel / Wordpress
- DB & API Architecture
- Technical & Task Management
- Server & Cloud Infrastructure
- Upgrades & Refactors
I always start with the solid foundation of semantic, accessible, and modern HTML markup. I then focus on progressive enhancement and graceful degredation while applying more complex application requirements and visual styles.
I incorporate fluid typography, responsive design, and design token best practices to build a resilient visual foundation. Utilizing many aspects of the SMACSS, BEM, and CUBE methodologies to ensure long term organization and maintainability.
I've stayed close to this underlying language that powers modern web applications, this foundational knowledge is vital to understanding the abstractions in modern JS frameworks allowing me to work to their strengths and get around their weaknesses
From a simple static site to a network of interconnected websites, design systems are vital to the scalability, maintainability, and consistency of the product.
I've worked with Storybook for web applications, have created custom living style guides embedded in CMS platforms, and even created a single "kitchen sink" static page to itemize and document the visual design.
I've worked in Vue, Angular, and React. I've built sites using Jamstack technologies including Eleventy (11ty) and Nuxt.
Perhaps more importantly, I know when these technologies are going to be a benefit and when they're going to lead to more complexity and technical debt than they're worth.
My whole career has included some work in a backend technology, I'm most comfortable with PHP and MySQL but have also worked with cloud platforms including AWS, Netlify, and Vercel.
Extensive recent experience with Laravel. Extensive experience with relational database architecture, and SQL query optimizations.
Working within a CMS platform is a complete paradigm shift, designers and developers are no longer fully responsible for what displays on a page. I ensure the code is modular, flexible, and resilient to ensure it looks consistent no matter what content is added.
I've worked in several CMS platforms, most recently including Drupal and WordPress. I also have experience with composable CMS platforms, and have used WordPress as one (including for this site!)
While I don't consider myself a designer, I'm familiar with design principles and how to represent them in code. I agonize over fonts, spacing, and microinteractions right along with the design team. It's not done until we achieve that vision in an accessible, performant, and robust way.
I have experience in several design tools to bridge the gap between design and development. Recent experience with Adobe (XD, Illustrator, Photoshop), Affinity (Designer, Photo, Publisher), and Figma.
As an agency consultant and now as a freelancer, I'm very comfortable managing client interactions including writing proposals, documentation, and agile ceremonies. The drumbeat that keeps me going is when communication, purpose, and goals are all clear.
I love writing code, but I also get satisfaction out of leading a team and providing solution architecture and mentorship.
Google Analytics Individual Qualification
Issued Jan 2014
Credential ID 02048952
Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
Issued Mar 2022 · Expires Mar 2025
Credential ID 22JFCSW109